Sunday, January 6, 2013

Reading the Bible in a Year

That is something I've wanted to do for a long time. I've even started it several times, but never finished it.

One year I tried using the scriptures from the Lookout magazine we get a church each week. I started out behind and could never get caught up. It stressed me to see that stack of magazines. I gave it up after a few weeks. I was only reading to mark that scripture off the list.

Then in 2011 I wanted to try it again. This time I found a chronological plan on the Internet. That time I made it farther than I ever had...even through Leviticus which is always a hard one. Then we found out about Camryn and I couldn't focus on anything. By the time we got her home I was at least a month behind and all of those blank check marks on my papers
Bothered me. I threw that plan away.

I knew 2012 wasn't going to be a year to tackle it again. I wanted to read it because I wanted to- not just to mark it off my to do list. I could barely get myself dressed every day so I knew setting a goal like that would only make me feel defeated before I started.

So last year I did some research and read some good things about The One Year NLT Chronological Bible. I also found out that Stacy, Camryn's sitter had that Bible. I've always been a NIV girl so I wasn't sure about using a different version. But since Stacy had it I knew it must be fine. I put it in my Christmas list.

So far I love this version. I realize
I am only 6 days in to it but this reads more like a book. Everything is arranged by date so I don't have a separate list to follow or things to mark off. I just open the book where my bookmark is at and read.

I'm not telling you this to brag or anything like that at all. I'm only telling you about it today because it is only January 6th. If reading the Bible through in a year is something you've wanted to do but got overwhelmed like me this may be the Bible for you. And there is still plenty of time to get caught up....you'd only be 6 days behind. Actually you wouldn't even need to focus on the dates...just pick it up and start reading it. Or if you've seen this Bible but it was wrapped in plastic so you couldn't look at it- I'm letting you know that I think it is really good.

So there is my unbiased, unpaid review of the day!! Now, I'm not to Leviticus yet. That will be sometime in February so I 'm nowhere being close to saying I will finish it this year. But I'm going to try.

No comments: