Tuesday, January 15, 2013

And to add to yesterday's totals....

Cade has been complaining about a sore throat for a couple of days.  I've been watching him closely but so far had no fever.  He did look a little off but he also spent the night with a friend Saturday night and he only got a couple of hours of sleep.  Last night, from Urgent Care, I directed Jay to give Cade his Singular.  He has to take that every spring so I thought maybe we were just needing to start him a little earlier this year.

This morning his throat still hurt.  I asked him if it was bad enough to see the doctor.  He said No.  Then I asked him if he wanted Tylenol.  Again, he told me No.  He said it didn't hurt that bad.  Since I saw no obvious reason to keep him home we sent him to school.  I figured we'd just keep watching him and see what happened.

Sitting in the Greenfield office this morning I see a Miller number pop up on my phone.  Great...Yup it was the school nurse.  Cade had visited her yesterday and today about his sore throat.  She said he wasn't running a temp but wanted to make sure she could give him some Tylenol.  I told her that was fine and we hung up.

I thought about it for a few minutes and decided to just call his doctor.  I do not want to be known as the parent who let Patient Zero stay at school with strep or the flu.  I picked him up on my way through from Greenfield for a 1:00 appointment.  I asked him how his throat felt.  He said better since he got the Tylenol.  Really....and I thought he didn't think the Tylenol would help???

Drumroll please for his diagnosis.......we don't know!!!  The strep test came back negative.  The NP said it could be a virus or it could be the beginning of the flu.  We will just have to wait and see - which is exactly what I thought we should do this morning, but when the school nurse calls it puts a lot of pressure on a parent.  So after his appointment I ran him home to simmer....either he is going to get sick or not.  At this point we are just waiting.  I will say that I don't think his eyes look right, they have that glassy look and the NP thought the same thing.  Hoping that with some rest this afternoon he can work on fighting off whatever it is he has.

When she was asking him about his symptoms I was mentally answering with her...
sore throat...Check
headache...Check

Hopefully it is just all mental.  Or it could be the fact that I'm finally back in the office for the day and I am EXHAUSTED from all the running around!!!  Only 2 more hours in the day...surely I can make it. 

No comments: