Thursday, December 2, 2010

About Cade….


 Jay has been after me for awhile to post about Cade's latest phrase that he uses all the time before we forget about it. I realized I haven't done a very good job posting about family stories over the last few months. Mostly because this embryo thing seemed to suck the life out of me for most of the summer and fall but also things are changing around our house….When I started the blog Cade had just turned 5 and was getting ready to enter Kindergarten. Now he's pushing 9 and in 3rd grade. He's changed so much and grown up so much over the last few years that he doesn't say or do the things that he used to. I know it comes with the territory of having your kids grow up, but it is kind of sad. Who would've thought that it could bring tears to a parent's eyes when their child could finally pronounce Library correctly, instead of libary.
  • His catch phrase at the moment is "Yeah, but the thing is….". He says this before just about anything he says….happy, sad, mad, etc. I've heard it most often before a phrase where he is correcting you on something you said wrong about whatever particular obsession he's fixated on at the moment.
  • His current obsession is World War II. He is crazy about any and all things from the 40's. Honestly, I'm kind of tired of war!
  • Gone are the days of really wanting the fire truck from Santa…this year it's "World War II in HD from the History Channel". The Santa jury is still out on this one…Again, I'm tired of war!
  • We recently got DVR. This was mostly to keep me happy because I was getting crabby missing CSI because I was stuck in my car watching a two hour football practice run over. The DVR is hilarious because Cade knows how to record. I'll pull it up and see shows that I know neither Jay or I recorded….Belly of the Beast (this one gave me a start until I realized it was about tanks), World War II in color, Black and White movies from AMC that are about World War II, and because he is still a kid there are a few Scooby Doo's and Star Wars Clone Wars thrown in there.
  • He says he wants to be a Marine someday because they do the ground fighting. I'd be lying if I didn't say that made this mother's heart skip a beat.
  • He found a Charlie Chaplin movie on AMC one night a couple of weeks ago. He belly laughed like he did when he was little. Until the little boy in the movie had to go back to the orphanage. That upset him – he has such a tender heart.
  • He is still very sweet to both Jay and I. He still hugs and kisses us and will sit in our laps. He's been especially sweet to me this past week. I know he knows I was upset so I think it's his way of making me feel better – which is does.
  • He probably has me wrapped around his finger. He knows he can get by with things in the morning when it's just me and him at home. Jay had to leave early this morning. When I got Cade up he cried and cried because he didn't want to go to school. Of course I babied him. I rocked him for awhile and let him watch a DVR'd Clone Wars, the whole time I wondered what kind of stresses he was dealing with at school – I just knew it was that stupid math because it's giving me fits to. I was thinking my poor baby. Finally I get him around and we leave the house and he's still crying because he doesn't want to go. I kept after him trying to get out of him what was bothering him. Eventually he said it was because he got in trouble for talking and had to stand in the corner during art class. Here I had babied him and it was all because he had gotten in trouble! I couldn't wait to call Jay and tell him about the morning – except I left out the babying part. He'll read about it soon enough.
  • He started basketball practice a couple of weeks ago. So far he seems to enjoy it. It would be more than ok with me if he decided basketball was his sport over football.
  • He loves listening to the radio. Anytime we are in the car, the radio has to be one. Love to listen to him sing along with the songs. So funny and cute.
  • He still ends up in our bed a lot of the time, except now I wake him up and send him back to his bed. Monday night I had to send him back twice. I'm pretty sure he sleepwalks and doesn't know what he's doing.
I'm sure there are plenty of other things I should write down, but that's all I could think of for now. He's growing up so fast I need to write things down more often. We thank God every day that He sent us this "surprise". Cade is a perfect example of God knowing what we needed way before we did.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

I got tickled at the DVR thing. That would be funny to see what he would select. :) And he LOOKS like a b-ball (as Elle would say) player. :)