Monday, December 20, 2010

O Holy Night


Last night was our live Nativity.  I think it turned out great!  The weather was good and everything seemed to come together perfectly.  I know Jay was pretty stressed about it in the days leading up to it, but it was all worth it.  He was the one who had the vision for how we would get everything set up...which means he had to do most of the heavy work, but it payed off. At least one benefit would be that we already know what we need to do for next year.  We won't be starting from scratch.  

We had a former church member, who works for a radio station, narrate the story.  He did an excellent job.  We are so glad he was willing to do that for us.   We took the script straight from the King James version of Luke.  In between parts of the story we would play a song that fit with what was going on.  We ended up with four songs:  O Little Town of Bethlehem as Mary and Joseph walked in and found there was no room at the Inn and then made their way to the stable.  The First Noel as the shepherd's walked from behind the church and circled their sheep (which were real) and then as the angels appeared.  It Came Upon A Midnight Clear played as the angels left.  Then We Three Kings (of course) played as our wise men walked from the side of the church.  I guess I'm an old-fashioned person because I love traditional Christmas music sang the way it was written.  We had really good version of all of the songs.  

It looked and sounded so good last night - I just love to hear the story of Christ's birth and I love to watch it all come together like it did last night.  It was so powerful.  The bleating sheep and the bellowing cows and donkey also helped to make it come to life!  But like Stephen said after the last performance this was only the beginning.  Do you think any of the shepherd's who went away rejoicing after seeing the Christ Child were there 33 years later when He was crucified?  Honestly, I don't believe I've ever thought about that until last night.  Do you think any of those who witnessed His birth also witnessed His death and then His Resurrection?  Can you imagine?         

2 comments:

Charity said...

You all did an excellent job! I know what I was able to watch was very moving. Just wished I could have seen the entire performance, but Avery was freezing.

Shelley said...

I wish I could have been there. I couldn't find a live Nativity to take Elle to this year. She is so into the entire season that I know she would have loved it. She has a wooden Nativity set and the other morning she had to feed baby Jesus some cereal. Your event sounds awesome!