Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Our Weekend

Saturday was absolutely beautiful.  There was one time I looked at my car and it was reading 70 degrees.  I was driving around Springfield with my window down.  It was a great day!

I spent Saturday going to Springfield and spending about an hour and a half of my life at an enormous yard sale at the fairgrounds.  I've had some decorating ideas that I wanted some cheap frames for so I thought that would be a good place to go.  So did half of the county.  It was busy.  I did overhear some comments that made me smile.  One was from a lady pushing a stroller to another lady in her group - I do not know why we continue to do this to ourselves!  That one really made me laugh because many, many a time have I said that to myself when Cade was little.  That is also what runs through my head every time we go to Silver Dollar City for Christmas.  The other comment was a husband to his wife as they were exiting the event right behind me - You could not pay me a $100 to back in there.  I felt the same way.  But I did leave with 8 frames and 2 glass dishes for less than $20.  After leaving the yard sale I headed to Hobby Lobby to purchase the rest of the stuff I needed for my projects.  I tend to handle stressful events with completeing a project - the adoption loss last year netted me some new curtains and and newly decorated spare room.  This time I'm doing stuff for the kitchen and a new theme for our mantel and a birthday idea for my mom.  I spent a lot of time in HL Saturday.  Then I got groceries and hurried home so I could spray paint everything before it cooled off since Saturday was the only day that had been warm enough and would be warm enough in the foreseeable future for me to use spray paint.  

When I got home I hurridly pulled in the driveway and started unloading groceries.  It was 4:30 and the sun would quickly be going down.  I saw the air was a little smokey, but Jay is a fire bug.  He's always burning something so I didn't think much about it.  My plan was to carry everything in and only put away the cold stuff.  I'd get the rest later because I didn't want to waste the warmer weather.  I got in the house and Cade was inside.  I told him it was nice and he should be outside playing.  This again was one of those times I didn't take the time to really register what he said to me...he said that he wanted to play in the woods but since it burnt up he couldn't.  I just shrugged it off because I had painting to do.

Typical of a lot of my projects the vision I had isn't going to work.  Four of the frames are too big, which I discovered after painting them yellow.  The paint I was using on the ones for mom's present quit working after I had used a 1/4 of the can.  That's what I get for buying cheaper spray paint - I will never do that again.  The dishes I bought don't look right where I wanted to use them.  I think 3/4 of what I got at HL will be returned.  I thought I'd be able to go back to HL and buy better paint for mom's project on Wednesday after my gum appointment, but I don't know if that is going to happen now with the weather.  Mom might get her present sometime in April when it warms up and I can spray paint freely.  So all that was going through my head while I was in the garage smelling smoke...

Cade finally came outside and he and Jay played football then he rode his bike.  Cross our fingers but I think Cade finally mastered bike riding. I've decided Cade isn't slow - he is just stubborn.  He isn't going to do anything until he is good and ready.  Apparantly Saturday, January 29, 2011 he decided he was good and ready to learn how to ride a bike.  A bike that I believe we bought him in 2007 for his 6th birthday.

So that night Jay tells me he is tired and goes over his day...
He went to his parents and borrowed the donkey's so he could start breaking Cade's new show heifer.  True to their nature the donkey's didn't want to load/unload so that was physically exhausting.  Then the heifer was extremely stubborn and he had to physically deal with that.  I think Jewels kept flopping over or something like that.   Then he played football and worked with Cade on riding his bike - But none of it had to do with the fact that he caught the woods on fire and our neighbors had to help him.  WHAT???

I guess he felt the need to burn some feed sacks (he is such a fire bug!) and the fire got away from him.  We haven't burnt the woods off for a couple of years because he is trying to control the ragweed.  With two years worth of dead leaves on the ground the sack fire got out of control quickly.  One of our neighbors spotted it and called two other neighbors.  Finally the 4 of them managed to get it under control.  I think Jay's decided that ragweed is better than a fire hazard so as soon as this weeks snow melts I think he's going to burn off the woods.  If you'll remember this is the 2nd time we've had a fire on our place.  But at least this time the fire department didn't have to be called.  After Jay told me all that I remembered Cade's comment about wanting to play in the woods but couldn't because it had burnt up.  That explained it.  Oh, and the fire burnt Charlie's dog house but unfortunately it didn't get the hog house that is in the woods.  Jay told the neighbors that I was really proud of the hog house so he was glad they saved it.  Sometimes I wonder when I lost control of my life and turn into Old McDonald's wife? I'm sure your all jealous!!!  Especially when you find out that the next time he ties the donkey to the heifer I have to help.  Can't wait for that bit of fun.

What a weekend!  Seventy degrees Saturday and tonight we are expecting a huge ice/snow storm.  Only in the midwest can you use your heat and your AC in the same 24 hour time span.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

I'm cracking up at your Old McDonald's wife line. HA! What a difference three days can make in Missouri, huh? I think If I set Elle on the deck, she would be covered by snow to her nose. I think I wil go measure...but with a yard stick...not Elle.