Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Great Birthday Debate

It is that time of year when I start thinking about Cade’s birthday party. I LOVE planning his parties. I know most people think I go overboard in what I do…but it doesn't bother me. I enjoy the planning and the decorating and making this day really special for Cade. It’s not that we try to spoil him with gifts but with the experience of the day  I know Shelley gets this because she had Lucy’s psychiatry booth at her daughter’s Peanuts party. That is something that I would’ve done if we had a Peanuts party. Over the years I’ve done lots of online research on ideas for whatever theme Cade picked. Probably the biggest year was the Civil War for his 6th birthday. I found Union Draft notices and turned them into invitations. I even researched writing styles of the 1800’s and changed my writing on the invitations and envelopes. Yes, I am serious about Birthdays! I did used to think that they were just another day, not any big deal and then stuff started changing in my life and my attitude changed. No, I don’t want Cade to turn into a spoiled kid on his birthday and think it is all me, me, me BUT I do want him to know how special he is and how grateful we are to have him. Birthday’s are big deals because it means you are alive and here to celebrate another year…and God willing, many more years to come!


So this morning I took Cade to school and decided it would be a good time to start thinking about a theme…

Me: Do you know what theme you want for your birthday

Cade: (silence)

Me: Are you maybe getting too old for themes? Do you just want to have a regular cake and no particular theme.

Cade: Who’s ever heard of a birthday without a theme? Yes, I want a theme.

Me: Yeah, a birthday without a theme would be boring. What are you into now….I know we could do something with WWII since you are so into that.

(in this brief pause I already had a couple of ideas for WWII party…)

Cade: Let’s think that over for awhile. There may be something else I get into before my birthday….

At least he recognizes that his obsessions change on a daily basis!

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Oh, do I ever get this! I can't wait to see how it plays out. Bigger is always better when it comes to celebrating the little ones. Not meaning loads of gifts, either. Just love pouring everything into the decorations and themes. SO much fun and magical for the kids.

So a war theme maybe? I'm picturing lots of guns and ammo around your house. HA! I can't wait to see the final product. I was pretty darn impressed with the 8th theme...Indiana Jones, wasn't it?