Monday, December 31, 2012

Welcome 2013

Today is New Year’s Eve. I don’t feel anything one way or the other about this year ending. There are some years that you are just so ready to be over (2010 for us) and then there are those that you don’t feel anything one way or the other. By all accounts 2012 was a good year and I’m just as hopeful that 2013 will be as good.


We don’t have any wild or crazy plans for tonight. This year our church isn’t having a party, which is fine. Camryn is at a difficult age with going to parties. She is so demanding that I’d only be chasing her. I’d rather do that in my own home where I can at least wear festive (comfortable) pajamas.

A few weeks ago I thought about inviting a couple of families over. Then Camryn came down with bronchitis on the 17th. Jay followed in her footsteps a week later. He spent 4 days in our chair with his hoodie hood up the entire time. After one trip to urgent care and 3 prescriptions later he is somewhat on the mend. He is still coughing his head off though. After all that sickness I was afraid someone else would get sick this past Sunday so I gave up my party dreams. I spent yesterday taking down our Christmas decorations because I was scared that if I caught what Jay had it would be February before the tree came down.

It is just as well we didn’t invite anyone over…because I’m now down in my back. I’ve seen my dad get in this shape before but this is the first time I’ve experienced it. I’m still not as bad as I’ve seen him get because I’m at least sitting up at work today, but this isn’t too fun. I’m walking pretty slowly. I’m still not sure what caused it. I don’t think it is necessarily one particular thing, just a whole bunch of little things combined. The worst of it happened when I was trying to move clothes from the washer to the dryer. I had to do it on my hands and knees. Jay found me in that position. I had to crawl out of the laundry room so he could help me up. I realized I was crying. I’m still not sure if it was from laughing or because of how bad it hurt. He helped me into bed with an ice pack but before I got into bed I went to the bathroom. Jay stood outside the door asking me if I needed help getting up. It was touch and go for a few seconds but I got up and maintained my dignity. Thankfully I am not that bad today. But of course my chiropractor is out until Thursday.

So we will be ringing in the new year with Jay coughing like he’s been smoking for 40 years and I’ll be trying to find a comfortable position on the couch. At least my arms are getting a workout because I’m using them to pick Camryn up…since I can’t bend at the waist. Welcome 2013….Cade will get a glimpse of his future when he has to take care of his ailing parents….and I may need a handicapped bar installed in our bathroom before my 36th birthday.

No comments: