Thursday, May 16, 2013

What the boys did while we shopped...

Jay had a whole list of things he wanted to do Saturday. The main thing was to build a fence around the hog house so Bonnie & Clyde can walk around. I think we all expected to have a running of the pigs, but that's not what happened. Clyde has been down and back up once but Bonnie refused. Jay got some advice on how to move her down the ramp. He put a bucket over Bonnie's head and forced her down. Now the pigs are stuck on the ground and refusing to go back up the ramp. Not sure how Jay will coax them back up the ramp. I just heard something about building a longer wider ramp. So that will be another day long project. But at least I'm not laying in bed and hearing the feed trough flap at all hours. Instead of hearing cash registers ring I hear flap, flap, flap whenever Jay says he needs more feed.

When we got home Saturday I looked out the back window and could tell they had been clipping one of the cows. Then I saw some unauthorized clipper usage..they were cutting their hair!!! I ran out there but it was too late. They were already in the thick of it. Jay said he was saving money, I told him we could afford $20 a month. The next day though I realized why he did it. Jay is boycotting the barber in town. Long story, but the guy is super annoying....but he does a good job. Jay isn't satisfied with his other options and he refuses to go to a beauty shop so he took matters into his own hands. It actually didn't turn out too badly...but I'm not sure I will admit that to them.

All of this has reminded me of the old Ma and Pa Kettle shows. I loved those things growing up. Now I feel like I'm living them. Jay of course isn't lazy like Pa was...but just the variety of crazy things we have crammed into less than 3 acres is what makes me laugh. Then since I've been working in our bedroom for what feels like forever our house resembles the Kettle's. Dinner time right now I actually look like Ma clearing the table, minus the chickens. Anyway, We actually have rules with our property that we can only have pets. So far our neighbors have been great so it hasn't been an issue. I'm not sure 5 head of cattle, 2 pigs, 12 chickens and 1 roaming dog all qualify as pets....or watching 2 guys shave each others heads after clipping cattle. Yup, we are the neighbors every one wants!

No comments: