Friday, May 17, 2013

Two years ago today and an adoption article


I read this article yesterday and had planned to post it today.  It just happens to also coincide with a special anniversary.  Two years ago today we got the best email of our lives.  There was a little girl soon to be born and would we like to have our profile shown....and the rest is history.  Even though we didn't know for two more days that we were matched with Camryn I knew the second I read the email that she was the one for our family.  Isn't it neat when God gives us those feelings?  I'm still amazed at how He wrote our adoption story.  It was a much better story than what I could ever have imagined.


Now back to this article......
http://www.today.com/news/woman-left-dumpster-newborn-i-forgive-my-birth-mom-1C9948610

When I read it, I was left in a jumble of emotions.  Not just about the tragedy of how she ended up being adopted, but the beauty of what happened once she was adopted.  I'm not sure I can put it all into words so I'm going to just highlight some of the things that I loved.  I'd say (or at least I'd hope) that most people who've adopted know all this.  I just think it is something great for those freinds and family members to read.

  • I love how she wants to meet her birthfamily to let them she know she forgives them
  • I love how she explains that wanting to meet your birthfamily is normal, but that she still knows who her parents are
  • I love how her adoptive parents knew their love wasn't enough to get her through her abandonment issues so they got help
  • I love how her adoptive parents supported her in trying to find her genetic family
  • I love how the therapist points out that if the family isn't talking about the adoption story then the kids see it as something shameful
I think these things are all issues that someone who hasn't been in the trenches of adoption sees as threatening.  Jay and I never have nor never will feel threatened by Camryn's birthfamily.  We love to talk about it and we want those around us to feel comfortable talking about it to.   Camryn's story is just an awesome reminder of God's perfect timing.  It's not something to shove under a rug and pretend like it didn't happen.  No matter how much we all love Camryn and know she is a part of our family there will be a time in her life she will have to deal with the fact she is adopted.  How severe that ends of being for her will partly be based on how we react to it.  All of that is completely normal and Jay and I fully expect it to happen someday and we are ok with that.  She is two and it is time to start thinking about how to respond when she asks questions or makes statements about it.  Adoption just adds another layer onto the already complicated job of raising kids.  I just want to make sure we do it right.     

No comments: