Monday, July 7, 2008

Church Camp

My family does not have the best of luck when it comes to church camp. I first attended church camp the summer before my 2nd grade year so I'd have been 7. One of the local ministers was cleaning up after dinner that evening and had a heart attack. I remember the camp workers taking all of us 7 year olds outside and explaining that there would be some ambulances but not to get scared. Um, yeah that's gonna work for a 7 year old.

The next time I tried church camp I was going into the 3rd or 4th grade. I went with Deanna and we both got extremely homesick. The first night we were supposed to go somewhere for a movie. Deanna and I were so homesick we were physically ill. We spent the evening in the nurses office, but the nurse wouldn't call our parents. I never attended another church camp.

Once Charity got old enough to attend camp our church was using a new camp (which happens to be close to where we live now). Charity got so homesick she also got physically ill. The good thing about Charity is that she really can get sick, run a fever, etc. My sickness is more in my tummy and no one believes me. Charity will at least have some physical symptoms that warrants a call home. I guess she also fell during this particular experience and still bears the scar on her knee. The nurse must've took her seriously, or she had a nicer nurse than I had, because mom went and got her a couple of days early.

Jay and Cade left for church camp (the same one Charity attended) this morning. Seeing how church camp hasn't been a "friend" to my family I asked Jay to go with Cade. Jay's never been before so it was going to be a good experience for all. Jay called about 1 1/2 hours ago - they're on their way to Urgent Care. Cade fell and split his chin open. I guess his camping days for this year are also over.

You know how people say been there, done that, got the t-shirt to prove it. Well we can say we've been there, and we've done that, but technically we didn't get the t-shirt. I've paid for it, but I guess they hadn't gotten to the t-shirt part of church camp yet. I guess we've just made a healthy donation to the camp. Do you think this could now be deductible?

No comments: