Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Christmas

6For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6

Of all the "Christmas" verses that one is my favorite. This is the one that Ralph read at the cemetery at Granddad's funeral. It's hard to believe that it will be 3 years ago tomorrow that Granddad passed away. Ralph used Granddad's Bible at the funeral and read verses that Granddad had marked. Since his funeral was on December 10 Ralph read this verse because it was marked (I think it was written in the back of his Bible, but I can't remember for sure) and since it was Christmas time it was perfect. Every time I hear this verse I always think about Granddad. I am so thankful that I grew up with four Grandparents and two Parents who made God a priority in their lives. I am thankful that they raised me to love Christmas and everything that it means, but to always remember the real reason why we celebrate. I love that at this time of year when I hear this verse I know that it had special meaning to Granddad. I love knowing that God fulfilled the promise that he gave to Isaiah by sending a tiny baby to a stable in Bethlehem. I can't imagine celebrating Christmas and not knowing why. It really makes me sad for those who don't know. Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without celebrating the birth of Christ.

No comments: