Sunday, November 11, 2012

When you realize you are getting older...

Our church has hired a college Freshmen from OCC to be a Youth Minister. Kolton must definitely be doing it for the experience because he sure isn't getting rich doing it. We are thankful for him doing this because he has been a great addition. Our church needed some new blood with some new ideas. Also...being 19 helps a lot to with carrying out those ideas...

Kolton wanted to have a Lock-in this past weekend. This is why having someone young is great. There is no way in the world I'd voluntarily throw a lock-in. I did not like them when I was young and I sure as heck don't like them 20 years later. But the kids loved it last night. I think we ended up with 7 kids total. Six of them were boys and 4 of those are 10. You can imagine what last night was like.  I'm just glad the screams I heard last night were coming from the church basement and not my living room!

The lock-in started Friday night at 8:30 pm.  Jay took Cade and another friend to the church and he also took Camryn.  Taking Camryn had a dual purpose.  I was trying to clean and he thought he could use her as an excuse to not stay all night....oh, I need to run Camryn home.  We are not people who enjoy being up for 24+ hours straight.  I would've gone but with Camryn not feeling good for 3 weeks my house had crossed over into the realm of absolutely disgusting.  If given the choice between a public restroom and one of our bathrooms it would've been a tough choice.  The only reason why I might have picked ours would've been because I was at least related to the germs. 

There were so many little things that I hadn't done around our house for so long that I cleaned from 5pm to after 10:30pm.  When I was done I realized that Jay wasn't home yet so I thought I'd better check on him.  He might have been having so much fun that I needed to pick up Camryn. 

Jay and I talked and we decided he'd stay longer and I'd come pick up Camryn.  I told him I had to switch out some laundry and I'd be right there.  I got started on the drive into town and I was very cautious about the area where there are always deer.  I knew they'd be all stirred up.  Then I was ready to turn onto 96 and I had to wait on several cars.  Then when I got to crossroads I couldn't believe all the activity.  There were a few cars at the gas station and a couple of cars on either side of 96 waiting to cross it.  Since I had been trying to spot any cars driving erratically from either drinking or falling asleep at the wheel I was extremely put out by the number of cars I spotted.  What kind of business did all of these people have being out so late?????  Then I looked at the time on my car...10:55 pm.  Good grief, I am old!  I kind of laughed at myself and then tried to remember the last time I wasn't home before 10.  It has been so long ago I don't remember.  Once I got the church I did end up staying until almost 2am.  It has been a very long time since I willingly was up at that time.  At least I redeemed myself to myself a little bit....I was pretty glad though when Cade told me that they wanted to play Hide and Seek in the Sanctuary but couldn't because Camryn was sleeping in a pew.  I gladly took my leave at that time.  But not before reminding Jay to watch for deer on the way home....

If I'm having a hard time with Cade, can you imagine what it will be like when Camryn has a lock in?  Since I'll be eating dinner at 4:30 pm having to drop her off at 8:30pm will really cut in to my bed time.  I remember being so put out with my dad when he said that there was nothing going to happen after midnight that I couldn't do before then.  At least he said midnight.  I'll be asking my kids why they want to go out after 7pm.... 

No comments: