Monday, November 5, 2012

When asked if Camryn has any drug allergies...

We will now need to say yes!
Poor baby had a reaction to the amoxicillin she was taking for her double ear infection. Friday, about 11:30, Stacy texted me that Camryn had a rash. I didn't think it would be a big deal. We decided to wait a bit to see what happened.

About 2 Stacy told me it was getting worse. After seeing a picture of Camryn and calling her doctor I ran her in to see him. He said it was a reaction to her medicine (big surprise) and it would get worse before it got better.

This picture is Camryn normally - in case you've forgotten how light her skin normally is. This picture was taken Thrusday night.

This is how she looked when I picked her up Friday afternoon to take her to the doctor.  I thought this looked really bad at the time...

But then this was what "worse" looked like Saturday morning. I kept calm because I knew that would happen..... 

But by Saturday afternoon, when she went from spotted to solid red and her face and lips were swelling I decided it was time to head to the ER. Of course we were in Fayetteville for the game so we had to use the hospital there which I'm sure is out of my insruance network! But oh well....she was pulling at her throat so that really scared me. I didn't know if she was just scratching it or if she was having trouble breathing. Since my policy is to err on the side of caution with my kids health we went to the ER. Yes, if you are keeping track that was ER visit #2 in 7 days! Yes, she has had no trouble meeting her deductible for the year!  This picture doesn't do the rash justice.  I am not exaggerating when I tell you her face was as red as her shirt.  It was just the lighting in the room making it look lighter.

When we walked in the ER with this swollen faced baby they got us admitted and into a room pronto.  We still had to wait a bit for the doctor but at least we knew by that point her throat wasn't swelling.  We left the ER with 2 prescriptions.

Last night was pretty rough at our house.  I think the rash has moved into the uncomfortable stage.  Her diaper area looks as bad as her face did in the picture from Saturday morning.  She keeps sticking her hands down the back of her diaper and scratching.  The steroid is also hyping her up so there was absolutely no sleep to be had for anyone us.  It even got to Cade because he told me that he was so tired he didn't think he'd make it through school all day.  I'm drinking lots of caffiene!  Jay is staying home with her, but he did ask Sharon to come stay with her for a bit.  Our washer is still broken and we had a ton a laundry.  Jay took 11 loads to the laundrymat.  I ran some lunch home for them and Jay was putting away the clothes and Sharon had started cleaning up my house.  Instead of the total disaster it was previously, my kitchen was spotless.  That will make it much easier for a tired mommy to take care of her sick baby after work.  Thanks to Jay and Sharon!!

No comments: