Tuesday, September 1, 2009

2nd Grade

Since the first day of school was actually 2 weeks ago today I thought it might be time to finally get the pictures posted.

So far things are going ok. He seems to like this year’s teacher better than last years. Last Tuesday we did get our first note home – Cade was talking too much and not finishing work in a timely manner. We weren’t surprised because his mouth seems to be on overdrive all the time. It never stops. I’ve thought if he keeps this up he’ll need jaw replacement surgery by the time he starts 3rd grade.

The last two years his teachers method of discipline was taking sticks away from the kids. It was a highly traumatizing and embarrassing event. No one wanted to loose a stick. I hadn’t heard him say anything about sticks so after we got the note I asked him what kind of punishment Mrs. H uses. He said that this year they walk laps. I asked him how many he’s walked to so far this year….13 as of last Tuesday, the 7th day of school. I had wondered if he’d put on some weight after his tonsillectomy. If he keeps getting in trouble I don’t think it will be a problem.

Of course when I was asking him about why he’s talking I got several different stories. One was that it was the girls he sits by fault. Then it changed to someone else’s fault then finally he told me it’s because he gets his worksheets and panics. He doesn’t know what to do so he asks the girls for help. Then the girls get mad at him and tell him too look at the board where Mrs. H wrote down what they are supposed to do. He told me again it causes him to panic.

I barely made it out of his room without laughing that night. But then the more I thought about it, then I started to panic. Is there something wrong with him? Does he have a learning disability and were missing it? Why is he panicking? Jay just looked at me and said “I wonder where he gets it?”

Luckily Mrs. H gave us her e-mail address on Thursday. By 9:00 am I had already e-mailed her. I needed to know if he was handling his work ok. By her 10:00 planning period that day she learned that I’m an overprotective nut. Oh well, we might as well get the year started off with her understanding that I’m crazy. Maybe it will help her understand Cade’s personality a little better. Actually the more I think about it, the funnier the e-mail becomes. I explained to her his anxiety problem and how he’s panicking at school. I’m pretty sure my e-mail sounded a little panicky….That apple didn’t fall far from the tree.

I wonder when his previous teachers will start warning his new teacher about the e-mail they’ll receive the 2nd week of school from the crazy Shepherd lady. So far only his kindergarten teacher was spared…I didn’t know her e-mail…

If your curious about how much he’s changed the last two years here’s his Kindergarten first day of school and First Grade first day of school.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

Yay, I love the new school year...first day pics and all! Can't wait to hear all your funny stories about it all.