Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Got Homestudy Yesterday

Yesterday we got our homestudy (along with the invoice for the fee that means we are officially in the program). It was about 10 pages long and is a combination of what we wrote in our earlier paperwork and what we talked about the night Pam visited us. It also had quotes at the end from the reference letters that were written for us. It talks about how Melody described C in her letter and she said that he could always converse with adults at a very young age. Pam also noted that C didn't have any problems carrying on a conversation. Big surprise! It was pretty interesting. It also goes into detail about our physical appearances like coloring, height and weight. Since it lists my weight I think I'm going to hide it away now. I don't know what's worse, having complete strangers read personal things about me or know how much I weigh. Right now, thanks to my past fertility treatments, I'm leaning more towards the weight thing as being worse!

I have also just e-mailed our social worker a copy of our profile. She is going to look over it and make suggestions before we even send the draft to her. I was so happy when she said she would do that. I told her I was having a hard time trying to decide how to refer the baby. You can't really say our baby or my baby because it's not ours. That can be offensive to the birthfamilies. I don't know if I should say children because technically we don't have "children" we have a child. Saying children means I'm implying their baby would also become our child. It's hard because you want the birthfamily to know how much you would love this baby, but yet still honor their positions as parents (and possibly grandparents) because until their rights are officially terminated the baby is theirs. I need someone else to look at it to make sure I haven't said anything to upset the birthfamilies. That's the last thing we want to do with the profile. J and I truly admire these birthfamilies and we don't want to say (or do) anything at all that might hurt them. I'll be so glad to get this thing done.

No comments: