Wednesday, March 4, 2009

End of an Era

Last Friday was a significant day in my life. It was the last day that I'd sit alone in my chair in this office. I knew that on Monday Sandra would start and the countdown to my departure would really begin. I don't know why, but I had a huge feeling of a chapter closing in my life. I don't remember feeling this way when I transferred to this office, but I have been here 7 years. It's the longest I've ever worked in one place in my life. It's hard to believe that I've been here 7 years....well at least it is until you sit in my chair. I pulled up a newer less sat in chair Monday and discovered that I've really flattened out my regular chair.

I don't know if I feel so much like a chapter is closing because I've experienced a lot while working here. I transferred here 6 weeks before Cade was born and I came to work while in labor. I'll never forget two of the customers I worked with that day. I got all my parenting advice from Sandra when Cade was a baby in this office. She had a boy 6 weeks older than Cade so we talked through a lot of things. I spent many days trying to keep from falling asleep at my desk because Cade didn't sleep the night before. I spent some time on the computer researching various infertility things once it was apparent we had a problem. Then I switched to reading about adoption. It was at the office that it first hit me that I wanted to adopt. I've fielded phone calls of all kinds here from the person who wanted to buy miniature Herefords to the one from my mom saying Mamma was being taken from home to the hospital by ambulance. She never got to come back home.

I've enjoyed my time here, but it is time for a change. I am a little nervous about the new job because it will be different than what I've done the last 7 years, but I'm ready for it. I will have to get used to the quirks of new co-workers and new customers but I'm sure I can handle it. The fact that the drive home will be less than 10 minutes will make up for just about anything else.

Jay and I aren't the only ones who is excited, so is Cade. On Sunday Jay and I were talking about Sandra starting on Monday and Cade wanted to know what we were talking about. I explained that Sandra would take my job so I could move to Mt Vernon. Cade got really excited, actually more excited than I expected. I asked him if he was glad I was getting to move and he said "yes, now when we go out to eat we'll be able to go quicker." I can see where his priorities are.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

Cade's thinking like me...I'll do anything to get to eat out!! Hope your job transfer goes well!

So, did you all sign up with another adoption agency?