Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Moving and Menopause

Menopause is scary. I used to worry about all kinds of diseases, but now I find myself worrying more about menopause. It is going to happen. There is nothing at all I can do about it. I'm even starting to see it's beginning stages suck the minds of some of my good friends. The only difference between me now and me 10 years ago is that I've developed more patience for it. Ten years ago I would've lost my mind. Today it still drives me nuts but I know in another 10 years I will be there. And it scares the heck out if me. 

I've heard horror stories about how it changes your ability to think. I experienced that last week. With all the packing it was easier for me to do a lot of it either myself or force Garrett to help me. Actually I didn't force- he willingly helped me sort and pack all 500+ files. Files that are several inches thick and could weigh 5 lbs. If he hasn't helped we would probably still be moving. The crowning point of the week occurred Thursday about 4. They showed up to take our computers. I had been saying for weeks (along with the continuous box count) that we needed to be packed up Thursday night. If the word box came out of my mouth it was usually followed by be packed up Thursday. A much loved
co-worker said "I had no idea we were supposed to be packed tonight. I thought I could do it tomorrow."  I quite literally almost fell over. Yeah...thats why I went over and over the packing/work plan for the week no less than 5 times. I think I averaged once a day.  I also think Jade  about lost it. She and I finished packing the rest of the odds and ends while someone else helped pack the nameless persons stuff. We managed to completely stress her out, which I felt really bad about- but it had to be done. That is where I am different than I was. Ten years ago I wouldn't have felt bad. Now I know that I'm 10-14 years away from having my brain work the same way. It seriously is scary folks. Did I also just type that in 14 years I will be 50???

Friday morning I got to the office about 7:15. There were already a few there and the rest trickled in a few minutes later. Except for the nameless person. I knew that would happen- so that's why I didn't want her to not be packed Thursday night. People would have been highly annoyed. She got there about the time the last box was loaded, which was still before 8am. I think my clock said 8:01when I pulled out of the drive. It was really sad knowing we were leaving Darrell. I am really going to miss him. He and everyone else headed to Joplin. Pam and I were the only ones who went to Springfield. 

We made it to Springfield and started unloading the rest if our stuff. And it was like I hit a menopausal brick wall. Out if the 4 of us who are in my position I'm the only one who isn't. And again it is scary. There was a lot of talk in how to merge the files, but no action. The others had other things going on so I started in it. I had to merge our files with theirs. I just prayed they would all do their own thing and leave me alone. I had a system. A few times they'd wander over and try...but I nicely tried to get rid of them. Then by the end if it, while I was sweating profusely I got a little sharp with the above mentioned no-named person. I told her to go do something else. Ok..this time I didn't feel so bad. My hair was sticking to my head because I was so hot...and yes, I know that is a pre menopause symptom. But we got things lined out and pretty much put away. There are some things just stuck in  drawers but I will slowly (and secretly) work on that. 

I am glad I was able to go to Springfield. I think it is going to be fine. I can get along with all if them- menopause and all. No, really they are some great ladies and it is going to be good. Our office is really nice and my desk is a lot  more comfortable than the one I had in Mt Vernon. Tera- now that we are working together take this story to heart. Remember that we may have a good 7-10 year run then things I mentioned above could start happening to me.  I will advance to their shoes and you will move in to mine. All too soon it will be me who's thinking is slower and I can't remember things as well.  Actually I don't want to admit this but I'm already noticing subtle differences in that area. Why did God design a woman to be such a complicated mess?  Figuring this stuff out when we are teens is awful...then we get a grip on it and we spend a total of several years pregnant with pregnant brain...we quit having kids but transition into raising them and being pulled in 599 different directions each day which makes me tired and mentally slow...we finally get them raised and out the door and then we hit menopause.  Hello hormones...I will be using the synthetic forms of you. 

No comments: