Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Story Part 2

Camryn was born at the hospital opposite of the one Cade was born at, so those of you who remember will know which one I'm talking about.  They were absolutely great with us.  I've heard horror stories of how some hospital staff treat adoptive families and birthfamilies, so we were very blessed.  Every nurse we had was great, every one seemed to know and understand kind of what the story was with our situation so we never had any issues.  The hospital gave me a hospitality room so I got to stay there with Camryn like I was the one who gave birth.  It was such a neat experience for me. 

Friday evening Jay left me at the hospital and he came home to get things ready for the fair.  He hated to leave us, but we also couldn't short change Cade either.  We also had to tell Cade about the baby since I wouldn't be at the fair and he was ok with it.  We did try to get him to keep Camryn's gender a secret because we wanted at least one surprise but he thought that would be too hard to do!  We quickly gave up that idea. 

Again, just another confirmation that God had his hand on this situation from the beginning, I slept really good Friday night in the hospital.  I didn't get to take her in the room with me the first night, but I got to spend as much time as I wanted with her in the nursery.  Normally when I'm in a strange place and a strange bed I don't sleep but I slept all night and even had a hard time waking up Saturday morning.  Saturday I spent all day with her in the nursery.  Finally late that evening they let me take her in my room.  She got to spend Saturday night with me.  She was such a good baby.  She had long stretches of sleeping and she was just fine sleeping in her little bed.  I love babies but I don't enjoy them sleeping in my bed so I was thankful for that.

Sunday morning Jay brought Cade to the hospital and he got to meet his sister for the first time.  We also got the hospital pictures taken and they are so much better than 9 yrs ago.  They are very fancy!  Around noon we got released from the hospital and we had to take her to St Louis.

This was the bad part of our day.  Due to different county adoption laws the best thing to do was put Camryn in interim care with our agency so we could use their attorney in St Louis.  It was so very hard to leave her on Sunday evening, but we knew it was for the best.  After metting Tim, our attorney, and seeing him in court Tuesday we definitely know that was the best decision.  When we first met him he told us all of his experience with adoption law and said the problem with most attorneys is they only know how to spell adoption and that's where it ends.  That was kind of what we ran into in our county so that's why we made that decision. 

We spent a couple of days hanging out in St Louis waiting to meet with our attorney.  We ended up going to the arch and the zoo.  We also met Shelley and her husband and daughter for lunch one day.  We met with Tim on Tuesday June 7 and then we headed home that evening.

On Thursday Jay and I had to do back to St Louis for a 15 minute meeting with Tim!  Of course we would've drove anywhere we needed but it was funny we drove roundtrip 8 hours for 15 minutes.

Tim hoped he would be able to call me Friday morning with our court date, but he said it might also be Monday before he knew.  I didn't hear anything that day so I was a little stressed by that evening.  Her hospital pictures came in the mail that day and I hid them in the house.  I didn't even tell Jay they were here because I was having a mini-meltdown that day.  I was so scared something was going to happen.  Then that night I had one of those straw that broke the camel's back moments.  At the time I was so mad at Jay but now I can laugh about it.  I was running late to Cade's game Friday night.  This year we all got team shirts and I was running around the house looking for mine.  I wasted 10 minutes looking for this shirt.  I decided to call Jay to make sure he hadn't taken it by accident.  I called him over and over 3 or 4 times before he answered the phone.  Finally he picked up and when I asked about the shirt he said "oh yeah, I brought it with me."  When questioned why he took the shirt he said he thought it would be easier on me that way.  I'm still not quite sure how taking my t-shirt to a game where the only place I could change would be a port a potty AND not telling me he took the shirt would make things easier for me? Things got a lot better though around 7:30 when I got an email saying that court was Tuesday at 9 am

After we dropped off Camryn wewent to the arch to give us something to do.  Seven years ago I got a picture of Cade and Jay in almost the same spot - except Cade was barely to the bottom of Jay's shorts.  A Lot has changed in 7 years!

1 comment:

Shelley said...

I'm just loving reading your story....I know that surreal feeling of, "Am I really finally writing this story??!?!?!" It's simply magical.