Thursday, September 18, 2008

Trip to the Dress Store


I haven’t posted much lately for many reasons, but none are because I didn’t have anything to post, believe me I’ve had plenty stories to tell….I just haven’t had the time or the Internet (our brand new Internet was down for 3 days this week) to write everything down. Now I’m to the point where I have so many to tell that I don’t know which one to start with……Since I think some of the best stories are the ones with Jay and Cade in them I’ll tell yesterdays story. The stories of those two are even better when there’s a little Charlie thrown into the mix…this one doesn’t have a dog but it does involve a dress store which is almost as entertaining.

Monday night we had a message on our machine from Terry telling Jay he needed to be measured for his tux. Since Cade is also in the wedding we verified with Terry that Cade needed to be measured. The tux place is where the wedding is taking place so we needed to find a tux place around here and have then measure the guys. There is a dress place in Aurora and we figured they were the lucky ones who could do the measuring. I assumed the three of us would go together to get the measuring done and that we’d do it our next free weekend. Jay had another idea, which was great because I didn’t have to be involved but afterwards he was probably wishing he hadn’t done it.

Yesterday I had a meeting and was going to be home a little later and Jay had to deliver a trailer somewhere around the Aurora area. He decided to do it after school. Cade is now in the after school program, mostly to keep me from losing my mind those handful of times Jay isn’t at school. Which means we’ll really need it maybe 10 times the whole school year, but to participate in it you have to go 3 times a week. So far Cade is loving it, in fact he gets mad every time Jay picks him up because it’s too early and he doesn’t get to do any of the fun stuff. Yesterday Jay called to the elementary to tell them he was coming over to pick up Cade and asked that they have him ready when he got there. When Jay got there the secretary was messing with her walkie talkie....Secretary: “Mrs S could you send Cade to the office” (static) Mrs S: “huh” Secretary: “Mrs S could you send Cade to the office” (static) Mrs S: “huh”. It probably took Jay 10 minutes to get from the High School to the elementary so the Secretary and Mrs S had been playing that back and forth game for awhile. Jay and the secretary had to walk to Cade’s class to get him. Cade of course was ticked because Jay picked him up too early. Then Cade needed a drink and Jay told him they’d stop. Jay passed their usual gas station because of the enormous trailer he was hauling and Cade had a breakdown. Then he got stopped two different times for about 10 minutes because of road construction. Finally they got their drinks and were on their way.

Once they got to Aurora Jay thought it would be good to get their measurements done. The store is pretty easy to get to even with the trailer so they stopped. Cade got measured first and then they started on Jay. After a couple of Jay’s measurements Cade said he needed to go to the bathroom. I know Cade may read this someday and it will embarrass him so all I’ll say is it wasn’t the easy one. Jay sent him to the bathroom and finished with his measurements. He then went to the bathroom to check on Cade. Cade hadn’t even started going yet, he was staring at a spider and it’s web. He’s got quite an infatuation with spiders right now. He wouldn’t go to the bathroom until Jay took care of the spider. Then he went into the stall and tried to lock it about 15 times and it wouldn’t lock. Jay yelled at him to just go to the bathroom, there wasn’t anyone else in the store but them. Then Cade came out because there was no toilet paper, so Jay had to track some down. Then there was something on the toilet and Jay had to take care of that. Finally Cade was able to start on the real issue at hand. That meant Jay was trapped in a women’s dress store with a kid in the bathroom doing the big job.

When I say dress store, I mean it’s a wedding dress, glittery, beaded dress kind of store. Since Jay hasn’t had any need for a wedding or prom dress this was a new experience for him. He was pretty amazed at everything in there, and because of Cade he had plenty of time to look everything over. I’m still needing shoes for my dress and he told me to go in there and look. He wants me to at least see the store to tell him if all dress stores are like this one or if this one is something different. Anyway, most of you know Jay, most of you know what he looks like – can’t you see him standing around with a bunch of sparkly dresses waiting on his boy to get out of the bathroom. Yes, it was probably uncomfortable for all. I called Jay's cell phone right when he and Cade got back in the truck and I asked what he was doing. When he told me he was going to deliver the trailer I said "You mean you're just now delivering the trailer?" I know, he's so under appreciated.

Jay told me this whole story this morning and then ended with "I'm getting a little tired of this spider obsession". When he and Cade were walking out the door I heard Cade say "Daddy look at this spider web" as Jay was yelling at him to get in the truck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would really have liked to see Jay in the dress store. Did he look at any of the prices? He may be really shocked to see how much a prom or wedding dress costs the parents of the girl.
Guess who bought 8 prom dresses and 2 wedding gowns. Wedding gowns are more reasonable than prom dresses. I wouldn't give up the experiences of shopping for those gowns for anything. I loved every minute of it.