Friday, February 21, 2014

The pig stories just keep coming.....


Last night I had the kids by myself.  I had to do some shopping for two  funeral dinners so we went to Wal-Mart and ate out.  I’ve heard talking to your kids in the car is the best place.  I believe it.  I can usually get more information out of Cade then, than any other time.  Here was our conversation….
Cade:  The hernia pig was a little slow tonight but he was cold.  Since we only have 1 heat lamp now he wasn’t under it.

Me: What happened to the heat lamp?  Do we need to buy another one?
Cade: (panic on his face) you don’t know about the heat lamp? Dad didn’t tell you? (completely frustrated) Why doesn’t he tell you anything?  (completely resigned) Oh, I guess I know why he didn’t tell you….

All of that came from Cade’s mouth in a matter of seconds.  He went from panicked to frustrated to resigned in a short amount of time.  I was sitting there completely confused and had no idea what in the world was happening in the front seat of my van.

Me: (completely confused) What in the world are you talking about?

Cade:  The day we took the pig to the vet the pack-n-play flew out of the back of the truck and the heat lamp was in it.

I’m reeling from the fact the pack-n-play flew out of the truck and was imagining how bad that situation could’ve been if there had been another vehicle around.  I was trying to grasp that concept.

Me:  So what did dad say?  Was he concerned about it?
Cade:  Yeah, he said “I knew I shouldn’t have done that” 

I was thinking ok, Jay saw the error of his ways with the pack-n-play issue.  Cade is going to tell me Jay said he shouldn’t have done that….
Cade:  He said he knew he should’ve  put the heat lamp in the cab of the truck instead of in the pack-n-play

Me:  He was worried about the heat lamp?  Why didn’t you fold up the pack-n-play?
Cade:  The button is broken

So that explains why the fully assembled pack-n-play is still sitting in our front yard after Jay brought the pig home.  A friend from church stopped by  Wednesday night and asked if that was our babysitter when we are outside.  Nope…it’s just sitting in the yard.  When we got back last night I was going to try to bring it inside but it was dark and Charlie was howling and I was a little creeped out.  Again, yes we are the neighbors everyone would love to have.  At least tomorrow is Saturday.  Hopefully we will be able to get it in before the end of the weekend.  I asked Jay about it last night.  He still seemed to be more irritated by the loss of the $8 heat lamp.  I'm still focused on the pack-n-play issue.  We clearly weren't seeing eye-to-eye on what the problem was. 
 So to reacap if you're not following the story not only did the pigs almost burn down my house they could've caused a major problem on the highway because of a flying pack-n-play.  If I don't end up banning pigs at our house our insurance company will.   
And just so you don't think we sit around letting junk pile up in our yard...Jay got home late Tuesday night with the pig, after taking the kids to 4-H.  He took the kids to 4-H because I was working at the parsonage and Camryn caused me a heart attack by almost sticking a key in a wall outlet.    Jay just got everything unloaded, separated the pig and then it was 10 pm.  Thenext night the church friend came over at the same time we got home and then Jay was gone again last night to the area banquet.  Hobby Farming while Ag Teaching (at least if you are any kind of a good teacher)  means you just don't have a lot of extra time to deal with broken pack-n-play buttons.   And since Jay is a good teacher I know why the pack-n-play is still in the yard and I'm ok with it....mostly ok anyway.   

No comments: